[Vorbis] Vorbis for non audio stream

Moz list at moz.geek.nz
Mon Jul 11 14:57:11 PDT 2005

Michael Smith said:
> One significant distortion you'd encounter is that the human ear
> can't hear anything above around about 20 kHz

It can, however, perceive the frequencies. Impulses get rounded off a
lot in audio recordings, and that makes them quite useless for many
engineering applications as well as people with ears.

I'd be looking at the multimedia modes of things like 7zip and other
high-end compression programs. The other approach is brutal - cut the
bit rate by dropping bits per sample. You get more noise but you might
be surprised how similar the output is even at 1bps.

Moz