[Vorbis] Indices and totals

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 02:24:44 PDT 2005

On 7/11/05, Mark Doll <doll at tm.uka.de> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've read http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tagging.html and
> http://www.vorbis.com/ot/20030303.html#id2726753 about the goals and
> non-goals of vorbis comments, but I'm still unsure:

You should note that the reactor-core document is from a single guy
unaffiliated with xiph, and we mostly disagree with him.

We've basically taken a conservative approach with adding 'official'
tags - because the system is flexible, people can use unofficial ones
with no problems at all. If they become really widespread and seem to
have real usefulness to them, of course, we'd adopt them.

> 1) Is it by purpose to forget about CDA's index feature because it's so
> rarely used or did nobody here ever thought about it?
> -> Add an INDEXNUMER field?

As you've noted, it's rarely used - care to explain what it actually is/does?

> 2) If "Vorbis comments are the equivalent of a quick note scribbled on
> the bottom of a CDR", it would be nice to know the total number of items
> in a series to be shure to have all parts together (at least I note the
> total number of disks on the bottom of a CDR). So what about the
> conceptually same:
> -> Add a TRACKTOTAL, DISKTOTAL and INDEXMAX (not INDEXTOTAL for
> disambiguation, since indeces count from zero in the red book standard)
>
> 3) Or would you consider it wiser reusing (abusing) existing standard
> vorbis fields and note the total number of disks/tracks/indeces inside
> the very same field like TRACKNUMBER=3/15 or would this break more
> things since apps expect a number in there? Or even stuff the indices in
> there too, like TRACKNUMBER=3/15.2/5? Or maybe also the disk number
> TRACKNUMBER=1/3-3/15.2/5?!

Remember, all these fields are just text - you should put in whatever
you find useful!  I'm not suggesting that this discussion shouldn't
happen - it's useful to talk about what tags people actually find
important to use, just that you shouldn't feel that you absolutely
_need_ consensus about this sort of thing before you start using your
tags.

Mike