[Vorbis] Vorbis Players for Windows

Paul Ellis public at ellisfoundation.com
Sat Jan 22 09:24:04 PST 2005

Geoff Shang wrote:

> Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
>
>>> As for WinAMP, WinAMP3 (which no one should use) and WinAMP5 (which
>>> was a reaction to WinAMP3 sucking so hard, they want back and started
>>> over basing it on WinAMP2) both support Ogg natively.
>>
>> [...]
>> OK. Thank you!
>> I'll mention this on my page.
>

> Certainly with Winamp 2.x (2.8 and above), the Ogg Vorbis support
> comes with the standard or full install, but not the compact install
> (these terms might be wrong, but you get the idea).   Don't know if
> this applies to Winamp 3 or 5, but it might.

It is the same for Winamp 5 for sure.  I have had zero problems with any
Vorbis file or stream using Winamp2 or Winamp5.  I think they both use
the same plugin.  There is even a plugin (that isn't maintained anymore
unfortunately) for encoding to Vorbis from Winamp5.  Winamp5 has a great
media library component.  I rip all of my music in it.  The only downer
is that the plugin is based on Vorbis 1.0 and not 1.1 with the better
tunings.

Paul