[Vorbis] Vorbis Players for Windows

Daniel Schregenberger npfdd at gmx.net
Wed Jan 19 11:28:52 PST 2005

On Mit, 2005-01-19 at 10:37 -0800, Paul Ellis wrote:
> After looking at your site, I think you have a php problem.  It looks
> like the download script you have going doesn't return the ogg files
> with .ogg extensions.  Although it is correctly being reported as
> audio/x-ogg.  Is there some reason you don't just put regular links to
> your files?  If you want to track how many people download a file try a
> logger like Phlogger (www.phpee.com).  I use it, it is great.  You can
> see how I use it at my music site

Oh, right. I didn't think about that anymore.
That was an experiment on tracking downloads.
The php script returns a document of type audio/x-ogg and suggests a
filename. It works here (correct extensions). But it might be better if
I just use redirects. Thanks for pointing this out, I've completely
forgotten this.

> http://www.ellisfoundation.com/freemusic .  The best way to allow people
> to stream music files, IMHO, is to make playlist files (.pls or .m3u)
> that reference the files you want to play.  This is how the stream links
> are done on my site.  The download links use the download logger from
> Phlogger.
>
> I do think there is some problem with the first file on your site, it
> was silent.  The rest worked once I added the .ogg extension.  I use

Hehe. That is intended :)
It is a Cover and I don't have the permission from the original author
to publish it.
As a little joke I silenced everything but my speeches and the noise of
the crowd on the 3 Cover tracks. Unfortunately the beginning of the show
was not recorded, so the introductory speech is missing and track 1
starts with silence.

> Winamp 5 although Winamp 2 works great as well for Vorbis.  I would say
> they are the best players for Win32.  The Ogg Directshow Filters work
> fine if you want to play Vorbis files in Windows Media Player (why?) too.

I'll tell him to try again when I changed the PHP.

Thanks for your help!

-- Daniel

--
Homepage: http://www.npfdd.ch/