[Vorbis] Sample rates higher than 48k? 24-bit depth?

Giuliano Pochini pochini at shiny.it
Fri Jan 7 10:41:31 PST 2005

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 08:55:11 -0800
Paul Ellis <public at ellisfoundation.com> wrote:

> >I don't know if libvorbis is tuned for 96KHz, but why do you
> >want to use a lossy codec for high quality data ?  Encoding
> >will throw away higher frequencies anyway, so you can down-
> >sample it to 44K before encoding without losing anything.
> >
> It automatically will throw away frequencies higher than 20khz?

It depends on the quality setting. Look for _psy_lowpass_44 in psych_44.h

> I think the higher headroom is more noticeable than the higher sampling,
> although that may just be because my speakers probably don't go much
> past 20kHz.

Very few people can hear something above 20KHz and even less consumer audio
equipment can play it. The high frequency is useful mainly during recording
and mixing and for selling stuff to audiophiles. They like SACD a lot
because of its 2.8MHz sampling frq :)).

--
Giuliano.