[Vorbis] Sample rates higher than 48k? 24-bit depth?

Paul Ellis public at ellisfoundation.com
Fri Jan 7 08:55:11 PST 2005

Giuliano Pochini wrote:

>On 07-Jan-2005 Paul Ellis wrote:
>

>>I just got some new recording gear (M-Audio Firewire 410, and some new
>>mics) and my audio interface can do up to 96khz/24-bit recording.
>>

>I don't know if libvorbis is tuned for 96KHz, but why do you
>want to use a lossy codec for high quality data ?  Encoding
>will throw away higher frequencies anyway, so you can down-
>sample it to 44K before encoding without losing anything.
>

>--
>Giuliano.

It automatically will throw away frequencies higher than 20khz?  The
reason I'd like to try using Vorbis with a high sample rate is because
the files would be smaller obviously.  Not for archiving of perfect
quality versions though.  24-bit 96kHz wave files take up a lot of
space, about 16MB per channel per minute.  Although I'm more interested
in having 24-bit bit depth than the higher sampling frequencies.  I
think the higher headroom is more noticeable than the higher sampling,
although that may just be because my speakers probably don't go much
past 20kHz.