[Vorbis] ultra-low bitrate stream?

Qiangning Hong hongqn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 00:07:14 PST 2005

I am writing a long-run sound recording application using OggVorbis.
The user can adjust sound quality parameter to make balance between
storage space and sound quality.

The input sound is 22050Hz, mono.  To maximize the recording capability
on a given storage volume, we want the result bitrate as low as possible.

I use -q0 parameter and it produces a 32.0kbps stream.  It is too high
(our competitor using Microsoft WMA can produce 16kbps streams at the
lowest quality setting).  I tried -q-1 and the bitrate is still
24.2kbps.  -q-2 and -b16 both produce error messages.

How can I get lower kbps using oggvorbis?