[Vorbis] FLAC to Vorbis

Mark Doll doll at tm.uka.de
Tue Aug 9 23:01:02 PDT 2005

Graham Mitchell wrote:
> [mitchell at localhost]$ oggenc --quiet --quality 4 input.flac
>
> ...produces input.ogg.  It actually runs faster than encoding from WAV, even,
> because it doesn't have to read as many bytes from disk.
>
> As far as recursively recreating directory structure, I'll let someone who's
> handier with "find" and for loops in bash take a stab at it.

Maybe something like that:

mkdir /your/ogg/basedir
cd /your/flac/basedir
find . -type d -exec mkdir /your/ogg/basedir/'{}' \;
find . -name '*.flac' -exec oggenc --quiet --quality 4 '{}' \;
find . -name '*.ogg' -exec mv '{}' /your/ogg/basedir/'{}' \;

If ogg and flac directories are on different filesystems, your flac filesystem must (temporarily) have enough free space for all ogg files.

Mark.