[Vorbis] encoding problem: gap a few seconds after start of song

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Apr 4 21:25:45 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 07:07:38PM +0700, dassen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am in the process of oggifying my CD collection, but I seem to have a
> consistent problem with the encoding: after a few seconds of starting a
> mew song there is a gap, a small pause in the encoded .ogg file. It
> happens in about 30% of the cases. It probably has something to do with
> adapting to sudden volume changes since occasionally it also happens in
> the middle of a piece of music when there is a sudden change in
> loudness.
>
> I am using oggenc version 1.0.1 in grip on Linux kernel 2.6.11.
>
> Is this a know problem with a known solution ??

I expect that if you rip to .WAV, you'll find there are gaps there.
In ripping problems, the issue is almost always a problem getting the
bits off the CD properly.

For debugging puposes, rip a track that's giving you a problem to WAV
first.  Listen to it to make sure it's OK.  Then Ogg it.  If the WAV is
OK and the problem is the Ogg, get back to us and I promise I'll help
:-)

Monty