[Vorbis] Quality setting Hard Min/Max Bitrate limits in SVN oggenc

Michael Smith mlrsmith at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:58:12 PST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 4:44 PM, John Edwards <john.edwards33 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> This is probably addressed to Michael Smith :)
>
> I have been playing with the latest oggenc and full libs from the SVN
> attempting to get the hard min/max limits to work with the quality
> settings. The way it is currently set in encode.c does not appear to
> work; ie., the result is the same with or without the hard limits set.

It seemed to work (with svn libvorbis too, though - I had to fix some
bugs there) when I tried it, but maybe I broke something else after
that, and/or I was testing different settings from what you're trying.

> However, if I amend the code such that management is NOT turned off if
> the hard limits are set then it appears to function as expected. It did
> seem a little odd to me to turn the management on to set the hard limits
> and then turn it off again. ;)

Yeah, that seems wrong. I didn't think it was doing that (it certainly
didn't seem to be when I was testing it - again, maybe I broke
something after I did the tests?)

I don't have the code to hand to look at it (I'm currently travelling,
in London right now, so I don't have my own pc), but if you can send
me a complete (and tested!) patch, I'll take a look and ask someone
else to commit it for you.

Hmm... just remembered that svn is web-accessible! I took a very brief
look at the relevant code. I think that should be working fine - the
management only gets turned off if opt->managed is false, and if
that's false and there's a hard min and/or max, we'd have already
errored out earlier, unless I misread something.

Mike