[Vorbis] Bitrate Peeling (no. really)

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Thu Sep 30 12:41:18 PDT 2004

> >1) What is the project?  Specifically, a list of criteria that must be
> >  met before the bounty is claimed.  I personally hope this will
> >  include that it works with existing .ogg files.
>
> >From what I understand, and I don't know much if anything about vorbis'
> internals, peeling primarily depends on the stream being encoded in such a
> way that makes it peelable.  The reason why it doesn't currently work is
> that current streams aren't encoded this way (or enough of this way to make
> it work).  This would tend to suggest then that it won't work with existing
> files.

There is more than one way to appraoch the problem.

One approach seeks to implement a peeler that will work on any stream.
I think this approach is perfectly possible.  However...

Approach B relies on the encoder pre-structuring a stream to be easy
to peel.  I think this approach is simpler/faster to implement in the
decoder/splitter, and will result in higher final quality.  It will
require a more complex encoder.

Monty