[Vorbis] Size of Windows ogg.dll and vorbis.dll

Stan Seibert volsung at xiph.org
Mon Sep 27 10:18:57 PDT 2004

Greg Rezansoff wrote:

> I don't yet even understand the separation of concerns between OGG.dll, and vorbis.dll.
> I will have to study the API to understand it I suppose (not in the docs)

The ogg library is for reading (and writing) the Ogg container format,
which is media-agnostic.  You can put audio, video, text, etc. in an Ogg
file.  Vorbis is a lossy audio codec.  You are working with Ogg files
which only contain Vorbis data, but there are Ogg files out there which
contain audio (including codecs other than Vorbis) and video data.  Ogg
and Vorbis are frequently seen together, but technically independent.

The vorbis library is a fairly low level API, so vorbisfile sits on top
of that to provide a programmer-friendly interface for the common case
where you are getting Vorbis packets from something that looks like an
Ogg file on disk.

---
Stan Seibert