[Vorbis] Re: very low bandwidth encoding

Andy Baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 11:23:40 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 22 Sep 2004 17:42, Andy Baxter wrote:

> It looking now that the problem isn't with vorbis or the encoder so much
> as the decoder - I've been using alsaplayer to play the tracks with, which
> doesn't cope well with resampled oggs.
>
> oggenc -b 12 -M 18 --managed --resample 11025 --downmix
> Wed-Sep-22-04-0\:1\:45.wav -o test-ogg-direct.ogg
>
> is giving fairly decent sound at 12 kbps mono if I play it through ogg123,
> but sounds tinny and strange if I play through alsaplayer. xmms has the
> same problem. zinf plays these files OK - same as ogg123.

P.S. - I just checked the windows players. Winamp and realplayer both play it
right ; windows media player 9 doesn't play it at all, and there are only 7
references to ogg vorbis on the whole microsoft site.

--
Please don't send me html mail or un-notified attachments. These will be
automatically filed under 'probable spam' unless I'm expecting an email which