[Vorbis] newlines in vorbis comments

Monty xiphmont at xiph.org
Fri Sep 17 11:50:37 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 03:53:54PM +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
> Is there any way to put a newline character in comments for ogg
> vorbis files in Linux?  I can't see any way of doing it with
> vorbiscomment.  Easytag would work, but has other problems
> (like concatenating comment fields with the same tag name).

Comments are eight-bit-clean.  You can put any ACSII/UTF-8 charachter
in.  However ´newline´ isn´t quite what you think it is (it is a
different charachter on different platforms.  A Mac newline in an Ogg
comment won´t work on a PC, etc....).  Newline isn´t a language
charachter, it´s a platform-specific control-code.

> If I wanted to put together a quick hack to add a such a comment
> (I'm thinking read the comment from a file, with the tag name
> specified at the command line), what parts of the ogg/vorbis
> documentation should I look at?

I curious; why do you need newlines?

Monty