[Vorbis] Status of Vorbis in Realplayer

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Mon Sep 13 09:16:31 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:56:21AM +1000, Geoff Shang wrote:
> Hi Aaron:
>
> Aaron Colwell wrote:
>
> >The RealPlayer for Windows does not play Vorbis and Theora out of the box
> >at
> >this time. You can download the plugins from the Helix site, but they
> >currently are not shipped with the RealPlayer installer.
>
> Oh right.  Can you tell me specifically where on the Helix site, or am I
> the only one who finds that place confusing?

https://helixcommunity.org/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7&release_id=244

For future reference, you can get to this page by clicking on the "xiph" link
under the "Top Downloads" section on the lower right of the
http://www.helixcommunity.org/ page. This takes you to the Xiph project page.
You then click on the "Download" link for the "Xiph Player Plugins" release.

> The other thing is that, when the player failed to play the files, it
> apparently tried to get the required plugin from the web and also failed.
> Can this be made to work?  It would be the least fuss way to go at least
> until the plugin begins to ship with the player.

I've been working on that angle as well. There is a lot of work I need to do to
get something put up on our autoupdate server. I still need to implement a few
more features, like chaining and streaming over RTP, before I want to start
that process.

I'm the only one at Real working on this right now and it is being done in my
spare time, so progress is a little slow sometimes. I'm happy that you are
interested in these plugins. The more interest that is shown for this work, the
easier it will be to get these plugins into the RealPlayer installer an up on
the auto-update server. If you have any problems with the plugins, please let
me know. I will try to address any issues as quickly as I can.

Aaron