[Vorbis] Re: [Icecast] cpu usage for ices and oggenc

Paul Martin pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 19:45:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 10:43:50AM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:

> Whilst I don't have a definite answer, it's very common for certain types of
> application to cause 'top' (and any tool that works in a similar way) to
> drastically under-report cpu usage.

It's threaded programs under a kernel that does threads in the kernel
(Linux 2.6 does; 2.4 doesn't). The current procps tools (especially top
and pstree) don't know about kernel threads.

icecast, ices2 and xmms all use threads.

--
Paul Martin <pm at zetnet.net> (work)
  <pm at nowster.zetnet.co.uk> (home)