[Vorbis] Bit rates, files size

Shawn Riley roleypup at samford.net
Wed Oct 6 12:09:15 PDT 2004

I'm not sure about reconstructing a vorbis stream from raw audio based on the fact that the supposedly-inaudible information has already been removed. I think the encoder would have to determine what block lengths were used, or even if it was Vorbis at all. I think the audio would also have to be aligned at sample accuracy. That sounds too much like black magic to me. But I'm not a programming guy.
But I know this... Open up any raw sample in an application that can give you a voiceprint (spectral view) of the waveform, & if it's been lossily compressed, you'll see some very dark patches splotched all over the voiceprint (assuming that dark means quiet & light means loud). That shows you where some of the information has been removed. I see it a lot on stuff that I've recorded from TV straight into MPEG format if for some reason I have to edit the audio separately.

- Shawn Riley