[Vorbis] Bit rates, files size

Hugo van der Merwe hugo at dsp.sun.ac.za
Tue Oct 5 05:13:52 PDT 2004

Makes me curious, could one use the Vorbis model (or even the mp3 model
then, for that matter) to rate two samples of the same music, as an
indication of which might be higher quality? (With some threshold set,
that if the difference is too small, the software would refuse to make a
recommendation.) I would like somehting that could do this, or maybe
even just something that can determine whether a raw audio sample has
been lossily compressed with a certain codec (e.g. mp3 or vorbis) or
not. The latter should be possible, should it not? If you can measure
the amount of "inaudible" information in the audio, or ideally, I would
like Vorbis to compress to smaller sizes at -q8 if it is compressing
something that has been compressed and decompressed at -q3 than
something that is the raw original?

Hmm, one too long paragraph.
Hugo