[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sun May 30 14:35:09 PDT 2004

> I wish they wouldn't refer to these other encoders as "forks".  All the
> press seems to say is "Vorbis fork", so the connotation is a negative
> one,

Forks are not necessarily a negative thing.  Indeed, they are
a necessary thing to develop a (more or less) big change without
halting all other development.

It is only when the result of a forked development effort is
considered successful, but it is not eventually folded back
into its parent project, that harm is done (or no good is done,
at least).

> and that now the project is fragmented.

"Fragmented" == "being developed on more fronts".  Unless there's
no (good) project management.

> They should call them
> something else.  Like the AuTvC Vorbis Encoder.  As opposed to the
> Xiph.org Vorbis encoder.

Erm, from the libvorbis license:

- Neither the name of the Xiph.org Foundation nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this software without specific prior written permission.

So yeah, they definitely can't call it the Xiph.org encoder.

> This is all stuff we hoped people would do, and they aren't really
> forks
> in the traditional sense.

They _are_ forks, but hopefully only short-lived forks, whether
they are folded back in or just go the way of the dinosaurs,
because the mainline encoder outperforms them.