[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Sebastian Gesemann sgeseman at upb.de
Wed May 26 09:21:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, 26 May 2004 noprivacy at earthlink.net wrote:

> They did succeed in producing binaries that mostly worked, but if I remember
> right, in both cases it wouldn't generate output files that were bit-for-bit
> identical with the original unmerged versions.
>
> In other words, in you used a Q=3 setting, the output would be slightly
> different from what the official 1.01 oggenc would give.  At that setting it
> should have been identical.
>
> If you used Q=6, the output would be slightly different from what Garf's
> tunings would give.  And at that setting, it too should have been identical.

The chance is very low, that two Ogg Vorbis streams are bit identical
even if they are both produced with the same encoder and setup. :)
(due to a randomly chosen stream serial number)

Or did they compare the decoded PCM files ?
In that case something has gone wrong while merging.

Sebastian

--
PGP-Key-ID (long): 572B1778A4CA0707