[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 08:42:27 PDT 2004

From: "Age Bosma" <agebosma at home.nl>
> > A few months back when somebody tried to merge oggenc 1.0.1 with his
> > tunings, I think he made a few comments about the tunings he did, but I
> > don't think he did any coding or helping.  (Eventually that project was
> > abandoned, but that wasn't due to Garf.)
> >

> The project wasn't abandoned, they succeeded merging the two which
> resulted into GT3b2 (http://www.rarewares.org/ogg.html).

They tried on two seperate occasions, I think.

They did succeed in producing binaries that mostly worked, but if I remember
right, in both cases it wouldn't generate output files that were bit-for-bit
identical with the original unmerged versions.

In other words, in you used a Q=3 setting, the output would be slightly
different from what the official 1.01 oggenc would give.  At that setting it
should have been identical.

If you used Q=6, the output would be slightly different from what Garf's
tunings would give.  And at that setting, it too should have been identical.

They would sound basically the same, but the output wasn't exactly what they
were expecting.  And they couldn't explain why.

Also, I'm not sure they came up with an decent solution to what happens when
you use a fractional quality value between 1.01 tables and the Garf tuned
tables.  In that case, the encoding was influenced by both.  Garf was tuned
against an earlier version and apparently it didn't match as well with
v1.01.  (Or some such.  I'm not an encoder developer.)

The last I heard, although they did produce working binaries (on several
occasions), they never got to a point where they were satisfied with the
results.

Maybe I missed them finally succeeding, but the last I heard, they gave up
but were still going to distribute the binaries (in case anybody wanted
them) but indicate them as being "not recommended".  It sounded okay, but
just didn't give the output file that was expected.