[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Stephen So S.So at griffith.edu.au
Mon May 24 16:45:58 PDT 2004

Yeah, I agree.  I used to think that this was a sort of 'forking' but
then someone pointed out to me that really, it's not since the encoders
produce 100% compatible Vorbis streams.  They are just different tunings
of the reference encoder.  "Forking" does sound rather negative and
divisive while 'tunings' points to something positive and constructive,
and that is what I believe.

Hence I think this test result is not only a win for just the aoTuV
tuning but a big win for Vorbis itself since without any major
structural changes, our minimalistic coder can be tweaked to competitive
quality.  Who knows what the coder is capable of when further tunings
are applied. :)  It's pleasing to see Vorbis back in the spotlight again. :)

owner-vorbis at xiph.org wrote:

>>Of course. Vorbis was designed to have significant scope for encoder
>>tunings, and it's great that other groups are producing their own
>>forks of the encoder. As long as they're still makeing valid Vorbis
>>files, (and calling them that) everybody benifits. That doesn't mean
>>there's somehow something wrong with the format, or the reference
>>encoder for that matter.
>>

>I wish they wouldn't refer to these other encoders as "forks".  All the
>press seems to say is "Vorbis fork", so the connotation is a negative
>one, and that now the project is fragmented.  They should call them
>something else.  Like the AuTvC Vorbis Encoder.  As opposed to the
>Xiph.org Vorbis encoder.
>
>This is all stuff we hoped people would do, and they aren't really forks
>in the traditional sense.
>
>jack.
>--- >8 ----
>Ogg project homepage: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/

Stephen So PhD Student
Signal Processing Laboratory
School of Microelectronic Engineering
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
Nathan Campus Griffith University
Brisbane QLD Australia 4111.

Phone: +61-7-387 53754
Fax:   +61-7-387 55198