[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 24 08:42:22 PDT 2004

--On 24 May 2004 09:59 -0500 noprivacy at earthlink.net wrote:

<snip>

> Also it's worth pointing out that the version of Vorbis used was not,
> repeat *NOT* the same version as Xiph distributes.  The official version
> would not have done nearly as well.  It would have beaten mp3, but that's
> probably about as far as it would have gone.  (See the older multi-format
> test results, plus the quick informal test that was done at HA to compare
> the Vorbis versions to decide which one to use in this test.)
>
> The tested version is not, unfortunately, a "completely tuned, ready for
> consumer" version.  But it does show that it can be substantially improved
> over what the current Xiph version is.  The Xiph version will always be
> the low quality 'reference' design, and never the 'high quality, highly
> tuned' one that consumers should actually use.

So what version of Vorbis would people recommend as the one
to use for routine encoding?  I currently encode at -q6
with Vorbis as supplied with Fedora Core (which is probably
Xiph, but can't check that right now).  Ideally I'd like to
use something not regarded as experimental, but giving good
quality.

--
imalone