[vorbis] Vorbis determined to be as good as MPC at 128 kbps!

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Mon May 24 07:59:25 PDT 2004

From: "Giuliano Pochini" <pochini at shiny.it>

> > with Musepack at first place in the 128 kbps listening test.  It has
>
> Ehm, please can someone annouce these tests before they finish ?

They do.  Not here though.  This isn't the right place to do so.

They are *heavily* discussed at HydrogenAudio.  The testers (and audio fans
in general) gather there.

The tests are not sponsored by HA themselves, they just host the forums etc.

Also, I think the test host (rjamorim) has a mailing list to announce new
tests.  (But this one will likely be the last one he'll do for a while.)

Also it's worth pointing out that the version of Vorbis used was not, repeat
*NOT* the same version as Xiph distributes.  The official version would not
have done nearly as well.  It would have beaten mp3, but that's probably
about as far as it would have gone.  (See the older multi-format test
results, plus the quick informal test that was done at HA to compare the
Vorbis versions to decide which one to use in this test.)

The tested version is not, unfortunately, a "completely tuned, ready for
consumer" version.  But it does show that it can be substantially improved
over what the current Xiph version is.  The Xiph version will always be the
low quality 'reference' design, and never the 'high quality, highly tuned'
one that consumers should actually use.