[vorbis] Re: First impressions of iRiver iHP120

Sascha Lüdecke sascha at meta-x.de
Fri Mar 26 13:55:44 PST 2004

Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> writes:

> I find it ok. The multiple controllers aren't obvious, but you get
> used to it pretty quickly (or I did).

Same here.  I was astonished to see that you can invoke every
function with the remote, too.

> file to start playing. A long click goes up one directory.

You can use Stop (up) and Play (go into) for the same effects
(firmware 1.40, iHP-140).

. Battery life is very good.  I can use the device for about 2 days
  before recharging (= 8-14 hrs of continuous use with lots of hd
  access).

. User interface is good to me though iHP does have a load of
  features making it hard to remember _all_ of them.  Some things on
  the display are a bit small which would make it hard to read esp
  for older ppl (my fathers' first complaint *bg*)

. No driver needed whatsoever and it works like a grace with linux.
  Big plus!

. Plays for mp3 VBR and 224kbps (got problems with those on other
  players)

. Support for ogg (biggest plus).  So far I've tested oggs with
  quality 5, 8 and 160kbps, all playing fine.

. s/n ratio of 90db which is more than ok to me.

already took it apart:

     http://www.ihplounge.com/werkstatt.html
     (german site)

Regards,
Sascha

--
Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the
incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few.