[vorbis] Tool for cutting Ogg Vorbis files

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Mar 23 23:40:28 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:13:04AM +0100, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> Anybody know of a tool for cutting/trimming Ogg Vorbis files?

A number are available. There was a discussion about this on irc a few days ago, but I don't have
the logs handy.

> BTW, the mp3DirectCut author says this in his FAQ:
>
>         Can you add Ogg Vorbis support?
>
>         I would, but Vorbis seems to be much more difficult to
>         cut than MP3. An MP3 can be cut everywhere and it's
>         still playable. Cutting an Ogg file without adapting
>         anything here and there will produce broken files. I
>         could not find any understandable documentation of a
>         structure in Vorbis files. If you know such docs, please
>         let me know.
>
> Does anybody here know of such docs?

http://xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html

Basically, you just have to identify the header pages and reattach them when you trim material
from the front of the stream or split it into two files. This is very easy. There are also tricks
you can do to make sample-accurate cuts with vorbis, which isn't possible with mp3 (without
re-encoding).

HTH,
 -r