[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy
Sun Jun 20 18:21:42 PDT 2004

From: "Patrik R?dman" <pradman at abo.fi>
>> CD-ROMs and standalone audio/video players. Strict ISO9660 compliance
>> means you have to stick to the 8.3 convention. If a player doesn't

>Silly argument. If a brain-dead player only understands basic ISO-9660,
>but plays all types of Ogg, it will se .oggv and .ogga files as .OGG
>files, and feed them to its generic Ogg handling code. Ergo, it will work

But the extension that gets put into the 8.3 on the ISO will depend on the
burning software (and OS conventions).  It's not automatically truncated.

So actually the files:

Artist - Name 1.oggaudio
Artist - Name 2.oggaudio

Might end up as:

Artist~1.o~1
Artist~2.o~1

Or some such.  And not even be recognised by the player.

So there is no real guarantee that it would be truncated.

I agree that it's kind of annoying to still be concerned about 3 letter
extensions, but there are times when you have to.  And if you don't have to
create a potention problem, then there's no point in doing so.