[Vorbis] Extension proposal - partly serious

Arc Riley arc
Sun Jun 20 14:33:53 PDT 2004

<Pine.LNX.4.44.0406201231210.7863-100000 at sasami.anime.net>

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 12:34:40PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Obviously legal p2p isnt part of your plan either.

Illegal P2P uses decentralized protocols almost exclusivly.
Decentralized networks are the ones which implement their own internal
search functionality, usually so generalized that they cant handle
things such as codecs or content descriptions.

Legal P2P, on the other hand, uses some form of server-based indexing or
hyperlinking so that people looking for content can find it without
having to hunt it down.  That is, a band or video producer will have a
website which links to their work on the P2P network.

That's not to say that there isn't illegal BitTorrent stuff going on,
but BitTorrent is designed for legal P2P, not illegal such as KaZaa
specializes in.  That's also not to say that you can't get free work
on the illegal P2P networks, but it's an extremely rare thing to find.

As far as legal P2P not being part of our plan, I'd highly recommend
reading some of the recent OggTraffics or monthly meeting minutes
before going off like you have been... you're obviously out of the loop.