[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Cameron Patrick cp
Sat Jun 19 21:42:32 PDT 2004

<001d01c4560a$14d79170$49389c3f at computername>

noprivacy at earthlink.net wrote:

| > CD-ROMs and standalone audio/video players. Strict ISO9660 compliance
| > means you have to stick to the 8.3 convention. If a player doesn't
|
| Good point.  (And I was the one who asked if 3 letter extensions were still
| needed.)

<sigh>  The relics of DOS come back to bite us again.

I've already had to rename a few files in my music collection because
Windows chokes on ":" or "?" in file names.

| It'll be years before any stand-alone player can handle ogg or theora, but
| there's no point in creating a potential problem if you don't have
| to.

Fair enough.  While on the one hand, it seems silly that a player
would go to the effort of supporting Theora but not support longer
extensions if the rest of the world standardises on e.g. ".oggv",
having to support long file names could be seen as another excuse to
not support Ogg or Theora. :-/

Cameron.