[Vorbis] OT: File metadata [Was: .ogg extension and Theora]

Aaron Plattner plattner
Thu Jun 17 18:51:11 PDT 2004

<000d01c49cfe$6c49d220$a720a8c0 at NESCAFE>

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:36:42PM +0200, Nescafe wrote:
> I would just like you to realize analysing a file extensions is way faster
> than simply opening it. Imagine the incredible amount of calculation to
> identify every single file in a thousand-entry folder. File extension is
> simply a short meta-data,  a hint for user identification.

Speaking of meta-data, is there anyone working on using the file
attribute features of modern filesystems to solve this problem the
correct (i.e., BeOS) way by storing a mime-type as a file attribute?
I can't seem to find anything useful.

--
Aaron