[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Nescafe nescafe
Thu Jun 17 14:38:15 PDT 2004

> Fix the short-sighted software and insist on half decent implementations
of
> the OGG format.

Does that prevent me to rename my movies to .ogv and my audio to .oga ?

> YET, if it has a WAV extension 90% of programs simply assume
> it's raw PCM data and chug happily on destroying cue points, section
> markers, silent sections, comments, compressed audio and any other
> 'esoteric' optional features.

Of course no one will acclaim those programs. But what is the relation with
Windows file explorer and simple extension sorting ?

I would just like you to realize analysing a file extensions is way faster
than simply opening it. Imagine the incredible amount of calculation to
identify every single file in a thousand-entry folder. File extension is
simply a short meta-data,  a hint for user identification.

Any decent player does not assume anything from the file extension and scans
its headers. File extensions are for users.

>  Relegating these useful transparent, optional features of the 'standard'
> to the effective status of proprietary extension.
> Let's not repeat that with OGG.

We are not talking about the Ogg standard, but about a quick and simple way
to distinguish between "assumed audio" and "assumed video".

By the way, I feel like this is not a Windows-only problem. Don't other file
explorers do it the same way ?

<sarcasm>
Why would we bother using extension at all ? Get rid of those ".ogg" at the
end of your files now !
</sarcasm>