[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Dan Hollis goemon
Thu Jun 17 16:13:06 PDT 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Jon Doda wrote:
> Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Arc Riley wrote:
> >>We are not going to impose a bunch of stupid rules and exceptions that
> >>serve to make Windows users lives a little easier at the expense of
> >>the time and confusion of every non-Windows user.
> > so basically youre sacrificing windows usability in favor of non windows.
> > and people wonder why vorbis isnt more broadly accepted?
> Well, there's no file manager I know of on *nix that can open an ogg
> containing video and one containing audio in different applications.  At
> the very least that would require different mime types for audio and
> video oggs.  It would also require restrictive muxing rules in order for
> you to be able to tell the difference with magic.
> This is not a conflict between windows and non-windows users, since
> non-windows users still have the exact same problem, and it could be
> solved by the exact same solution.

Well also consider this problem. User has a filesystem filled with ogg
files. Maybe a couple hundred. Some example filenames.

bingo.ogg
duality.ogg
elite.ogg
fivestars.ogg
rainbow.ogg
science.ogg
the_doors.ogg
the_police_-_every_breath_you_take.ogg
the_code.ogg

Now quickly move all video files to /video/ and all audio files to /audio/

Now how would a newbie easily do this?

I know that *I*, the experienced unix user can cook up a script with
file/xargs/etc, but your typical novice user (windows or not) will never
be able to.

-Dan