[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Arc Riley arc
Thu Jun 17 12:45:22 PDT 2004

<001c01c49ce0$c39425d0$a720a8c0 at NESCAFE>
<40D1EF69.4030405 at ellisfoundation.com>
<001601c49ced$002f5260$a720a8c0 at NESCAFE>

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:31:59PM +0200, Nescafe wrote:

> And all Ogg files would look the same with the same damn icon whatever their
> content. To those that know Tortoise, it's a CVS client for Windows that
> manages, through some still mysterious to me API, to change a file's icon
> according to its status. I know it is possible, but that would simply be
> overkill.

And who draws the line between "audio" and "audio+subtitles"?  What
about "audio of a brand new codec which I cant decode"?  What if your
favorite media player only supports Vorbis, but you have a Ogg FLAC file
which is supported by a media player which you like less, and want it to
open in a media player which you most like?

The problem cannot be solved in the extension.  Your OS is the problem,
or prehaps just your file manager.  If you /want/ different icons and
different programs to open files depending on the file's _content_, not
just it's _type_, then you need something more advanced to fill this niche.

Ogg is the file format.  Wanting different extensions depending on it's
content is like wanting different text file extensions depending on if
the content is personal or work related, etc.