[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Nescafe nescafe
Thu Jun 17 12:33:29 PDT 2004

<001c01c49ce0$c39425d0$a720a8c0 at NESCAFE>
<40D1EF69.4030405 at ellisfoundation.com>

From: "Paul Ellis" <public at ellisfoundation.com>
To: "Nescafe" <nescafe at fr.fm>

> If I understand you correctly you wonder why some of us would want the
> extension changed even if there was a program to determine the file's
> contents right ?

That was the exact opposite. I was wondering why those non-Windows user who
claim not to rely on file extension would care about Xiph promoting
different extensions for Windows-like file browsing system users...

> Right now I could send an .ogg file to many people and they could
> double click it and Winamp would play it because it grabs that
> extension.  But we'd have a problem with Theora. The person would
> have to install another program and then go in and configure it.
> It sounds simple, but that would break most people.

And all Ogg files would look the same with the same damn icon whatever their
content. To those that know Tortoise, it's a CVS client for Windows that
manages, through some still mysterious to me API, to change a file's icon
according to its status. I know it is possible, but that would simply be
overkill.

My point of view is :
- Windows users like me need some standard Xiph supported extension to make
a difference between an Ogg containing audio only or a video.
- The codec used inside absolutely doesn't matter. I am talking about media
type.
- Other OSes / file explorers users with stronger file identification
modules do not care about several different file extensions. Except maybe
for the fact they don't like Windows.