[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

Nescafe nescafe
Thu Jun 17 11:05:59 PDT 2004

<40D1C6CA.70600 at sympatico.ca>

> Using an extension named after a specific codec seems like a bad idea
> for a generic container format.  There's no reason to believe that
> Theora will be the only video codec to use an ogg container, just as
> Vorbis is not the only audio codec that uses ogg.

I think you're missing the point. It ain't a codec problem, it ain't a
container problem, it's a media problem. It's a problem about associating a
specifie extension for all files including video, and another for all audio
only files.

A different extension means for us, Windows-explorer-like people, a
different icon making a simple and quick distinction between file according
to their content, a different player association for audio (often light and
minimised) and video (with a lot of tweaking options), no matter what codec
is embedded inside.

No matter if it's a hacked .ogm with XviD inside, or a brand new Theora
encoded video, we like our movies showing up with a movie-like icon, opening
with a video capable player.

By the way, why does it bother so much some of you people ? If you've got a
"magic scanning program that finds out which data is in your files" or if
you've got a "magic mime-like type attached", why would you care for
different files extensions ?

You won't make Windows user switch to *nix, and you won't push Ogg based
media any further either.

English not being my mother tongue, forgive my rudeness and approximative
grammer.