[Vorbis] .ogg extension and Theora

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy
Thu Jun 17 09:37:31 PDT 2004

<40D1C6CA.70600 at sympatico.ca>

From: "Jon Doda" <jdoda at sympatico.ca>

> noprivacy at earthlink.net wrote:
> > But still, it might be nice to have some extension that is somewhat
> > descriptive of Theora video.  .OGT perhaps?
>
> Using an extension named after a specific codec seems like a bad idea
> for a generic container format.  There's no reason to believe that
> Theora will be the only video codec to use an ogg container, just as
> Vorbis is not the only audio codec that uses ogg.

Yes, I know.

I was a bit hesitant to even suggest that, but I was thinking that:

1) it might be a good idea to get it into the minds of users that this isn't
DivX or such with a funny extension.

2) As a way to boost recognition (and awareness) of an open source video
codec called Theora.

Except for those two reasons, I agree with you that it might be a bad idea.