[Vorbis] Information on the DMC 800

jt jontemple
Fri Jul 30 17:13:06 PDT 2004

The page to see this if you cannot see HTML on e-mail or just want to look
at all of it is.
Sometimes, if it is reasonable, people would prefer not to search around to
web sites so I am posting highlights in HTML as well as giving the link.
Could someone buy me a DMC-800 :-). Why I always look for components and off
brands that focus on engineering rather than marketing is that they are not
in the business of trying to control the marketplace with a lot propritary
hardware/software in it. Usually, quite the opposite.
I just saw an amazing item to me about the DMC 800, that it uses
conventional notebook PC hard drives, not propriatary. So as the technology
of the notebook PC disk drives improves and gets less expensive, you can
replace the DMC 800 drive with a standard notebook disk drive, Just like a
PC can with USB or IDE drives. No propriatary software needed to to run,
thereforer it is PC independent as long as there is a USB port. So this
sucker can output and input from just about anything. Some others, and I
wonder if this has it, have the ability to store and play Divx movies as
well.

Again, this is not an advertisement, just something to show all that if you
get past the Apple marketing and are not concerned about being "in" and
comfortable without using a "brand name" device, there are  a lot of iPOD
alternatives out there that do not allow the vendor to lock you in to any
propriatary formats.

Jon

http://www.digmind.com/store/index_800.html

Front View
(click to enlarge)

Top View
(click to enlarge)

How do you improve on the critically acclaimed DMC
500, one of the best digital music players on the market? Our answer was to
pack even more features into it, and then warp it all in to a smaller,
sleeker, sexier case.

We proudly present the DMC 800, the newest member of
the DMC product line.

With the addition of a new 1.8 inch hard drive,
we've managed to pack all the best features of the the DMC 500 into a
beautiful 2.6" x 3.9" x 0.86" frame - and yes, before you ask, that's
smaller than an iPod.

The DMC 800 also features all the great things that
made its predecessor so impressive: an FM Tuner with encoding (so you can
record as you listen), a voice recorder with built-in mic, an analog/optical
line-in so you can digitally record from any source at up to 320 kb/s, and
the ability to play a multitude of digital file types. We've even added WAV
and Ogg Vorbis support for you audiophiles and Linux users out there.

Finally, like its predecessor, the 800 is both PC
and Mac compatible, needing no software of any kind - just plug it in and it
shows up as a regular hard drive. If it can get any easier we'd like to know
how.

Click a player to place it in your shopping cart

*hours of music based on Windows Media format at 64kb/s

Customer Support

Shipping Charges

view cart   detailed info   accessories

Portable Storage Device

a.. 1.8" 20GB Hard Drive
b.. USB 2.0
c.. Plug & Play (No installation CD required)
a.. MP3, WMA, OGG Vorbis, WAV Music Playback
a.. FM Tuner
a.. FM Recording
a.. Voice Recording
a.. Appears as another hard drive when connected to your PC
a.. Can back-up document files and images as an external hard drive
a.. Just drag & drop files from Windows Explorer or Mac
a.. USB 2.0 supported
a.. Super fast downloads (maximum 480Mbps)
a.. USB 2.0 supported as well as USB1.1
a.. Self-Charging Function
a.. Built in Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
a.. Firmware upgrade ability
a.. Supported OS : MAC & Win 98/ME/2000/XP
a.. Manufactured in the USA
a.. Firmware upgradable via USB

Comparison Table to Creative Zen or Apple iPOD top Model DMC 800
Creative Zen Apple iPOD
Image
Supported Format MP3 (8 - 320Kbps, VBR) & WMA(32-192Kbps), Ogg
Vorbis, WAV MP3, WMA MP3 (CBR & VBR up to 320kbps), WAV, AIFF, Audible, and
AAC/MP4 (up to 320kbs)
Power Source Lithium-Ion Rechargeable or 5V DC power 5v DC
Power, USB connector, or internal rechargeable lithium-ion battery Internal
rechargeable lithium polymer battery (630 mAH) or 12V DC power (through
proprietary port on bottom of player)
Battery Life 12 hrs Firewire Zen: 12 hours
USB2 Zen: 14 hours Around 8 hours
Storage 20GB/40GB 1.8" laptop drive installed 20GB/40GB/60GB
model
15GB, 20GB and 40GB models

Radio  FM tuner Yes, with optional FM Remote  Yes with 3rd party
hardware
FM Radio Record Yes Yes, with FM Remote, to .WAV Yes with 3rd
party hardware

Record Yes Yes, with FM Remote, to .WAV Yes with 3rd party
hardware
Hard-Drive Upgrades Yes, any 1.8" laptop hard drive upgrades
YES, Fujitsu or other low-power 2.5" notebook hard-drive, currently to 60GB.
No, iPod uses modified Toshiba 1.8" drives with custom firmware. Generic
1.8" drives will not work
Music Offloading Yes, no software required Any PC with
PlayCenter installed Any PC with Ephpod installed
Line-Out  No No Yes, but only through the standard apple docking
base or through an adapter cable using the Ipod's bottom-side I/O port.
Line-In Record  Yes, MP3 encoding at selectable quality
(32kbit/s - 320 kbit/s). Both analog-in and digital input S/PDIF (IEC958)
ports No Yes, with 3rd party hardware
Voice Record Yes, with built-in microphone. Voice Recording at
at selectable quality (128kbit/s - 32 kbit/s) Yes, with mic on FM Remote
only. creates mono .WAV files. can Yes, with 3rd party hardware

Music Loading  No installation CD required Drag and drop MP3's
on PlayCenter; files indexed by ID3 tags Drag and drop MP3's on EphPod;
files indexed by ID3 tags
Play Modes  Single, Directory, All, AB Repeat, Shuffle, Intro
Normal, shuffle, repeat Normal, shuffle songs or albums, repeat
Playlist Support  Yes Yes Yes

Firmware Upgradeable  Yes Yes Yes