[Vorbis] brainfart #67453 - hyper-index

O Si Yo axionman2k2
Mon Jul 26 18:16:44 PDT 2004

--- Haxe <haxe at pansensack.de> wrote:
> Oh sorry Arc, this mail should have gone to the
> vorbis list,
> so once again:...
>
> On Monday 26 July 2004 19:57, you wrote:
> > The command for this has been in UNIX for a very,
> very long time.
> > You don't even need libogg/libvorbis to use it:
> >
> > # cat track1.ogg track2.ogg track3.ogg >album.ogg
>
> Yes, I know that, and it is a very good feature. But
> I was explicitly
> talking about a trackmark index that doesn't require
> to scan through
> the whole file.
>
> The bigger your file is, the more useful such a
> trackmark feature can
> get. But also, the bigger your file is, the longer
> it takes to seek
> through all the data for logical stream boundaries.
> Thus, it can be
> very useful to have an index of logical trackmarks
> at the beginning of
> a seekable file as an optional feature.
>
> Hauke Hachmann

some of the uses I foresee would be lessons, groups of
speeches on theme, and audio books etc.  With high
compression for voice only files, it is possible to
have 50-100 hours or more of good quality audio on a
CD.

For these types of uses, ability to have direct access
to particular sections is most needed since it would
be hard to do 100 hours in 1 session or keep track of
where one left off.

Also, a special dedicated front end ap might be useful
for lessons and the like, keeping track of progress,
perhaps having some sort of testing for comprehension
of parts covered, suggesting review of particular
sections when needed.  This would incorporate indexed
ogg files as a resource.  Learning a language could be
such a use.

For language lessons, I could imagine voice
recognition being used, to compare the students
attempts at repeating words being learned.  If it
compares reasonably well to the teachers
pronunciation, then the student progresses to the next
word or phrase.  If not, then the student is requested
to try again for a few times until their pronunciation
matches the teachers.  If the student just can't seem
to get it at the time, that fact is stored and then
the program would take the student to another lesson,
to return later to review areas of past difficulty.

also, to enhance this function and such uses.. years
back I suggested adding support for imbedding text
fields for lyrics and transcripts.

For songs, having the lyrics imbedded in the ogg file
would make it easily searchable.  If you recall a few
words of the song, you can quickly find the song
itself.  Same with the transcript of a talk.  If you
remember the words you wish to locate, somewhere in a
3 hours speech, it again would be easily searchable
and with the transcribed words linked to their place
in the audio file, one could scan the transcript, then
click on a word to jump to replay the audio from that
point.

I just discovered 2 days ago that mp3 specs have been
expanded to include lyrics3 tags that can in fact be
time stamped, to facilitate a karaoke style video
output.  If this can be used for large transcripts as
well, it would be a boon for presentations that would
allow the blind to listen while allowing the deaf to
read the text being scrolled in time on a video
display.

I just re-subscribed to this list so am not at all
upto date on current project status and direction.
Does ogg have anything like the mp3 lyrics3 tags
implemented or planned?