[Vorbis] brainfart #67453 - hyper-index

John Morton jwm
Mon Jul 26 02:14:35 PDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:06, O Si Yo wrote:
>  I don't know if this has been suggested before but..
>
>  What about adding support for a bookmark or
>  hyperlinked index?
>
>  The idea is that a large compilation such as a long
>  speech or an album would be maintained as a single
>  file, but on playback, the player would show numerous
>  'tracks' which are really just bookmarks relating to
>  starting position of the specific part or topic.

Players can, in principle, do this already by treating each logical stream
within a physical stream as a 'track'. In practice, it's best to treat each
logical stream that has it's own set of vorbiscomments as a track, as
stringing together sets of logical streams is used as a means of lossless
editing of vorbis files by the likes of Audacity.

Check out the xmms vorbis plugin in CVS here:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/vgplay/vgplay/

It's a bit out of date compared to current XMMS, but it should serve as a
proof of concept for other player developers.

John