[Vorbis] vorbis 1.1 rc 1 now tagged in SVN

Geoff Shang gshang
Thu Jul 15 00:07:07 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004, Monty wrote:

>  c) AoTuV introduced quality ranges down to -2; the 1.1 Xiph
> libvorbisenc implements the same modes but maps them down to -1 as in
> previous Xiph releases.  The bitrate of quality -1 in 1.1 is similar
> to quality -1 in 1.0.1 but the quality of the output is improved.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for quality.  But quality -1 was pretty good
(considering) in vorbis 1.0.  With an improvement in 1.1, surely there now
is a case for an even lower bitrate mode?  I feel it's best to provide
people with the option of going below where picky people find it
acceptable, because it might be satisfactory for a given application.  The
number of quality -1 streams on the net is a case in point.  It may even be
possible to hear streams of that sonic quality on a 56k modem if we could
shave a few kbps off it.

Geoff.