[Vorbis] libogg build problem on Solaris 9/SPARC, GCC 3.4.0

Matt Prazak prazak_lists
Thu Jul 8 08:22:31 PDT 2004

When building libogg 1.1 using GCC 3.4.0 on Solaris 9/SPARC, the final
linking would fail with a problem finding "main".

My work-around for this problem was to redefine the variables
archive_cmds and archive_expsym_cmds in the libtool script to use
"-shared" instead of "-G".  It appears that GCC's -shared option is
better at generating the correct options for ld.  I'm sure there is a
better fix for this, but my knowledge of autoconf/automake/libtool/etc.
is quite limited.

I also noticed that libvorbis did not have this build problem, as it
already used -shared in its libtool script.

Matt