[vorbis] Bitrate stripping?

Daniel Schregenberger npfdd at gmx.net
Thu Jan 1 16:53:50 PST 2004

On Fre, 2004-01-02 at 13:25, John Morton wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2004 01:24, Daniel Schregenberger wrote:
> >  On Don, 2004-01-01 at 23:08, John Morton wrote:
> >  > On Thursday 01 January 2004 20:21, Graham Mitchell wrote:
> >  > >  Once peeling is working out of the box, people will start using it
> >  > > (and loving it, I suspect), but for now there's not enough clamor for
> >  > > it to move to the top of the TODO list of anyone capable.
> >  >
> >  > And the longer it's left, the less useful it becomes, unfortunately.
> >
> >  Why that?
>
> Bit peeling is all about helping you out if you have limited storage,
> bandwidth and cycles.
[...]
> The problem is that the amount of storage, bandwidth and cycles you can buy
> for a dollar is always increasing, and shows no sign of letting up in the
> near future.
[...]
> Basically, two years ago bit peeling would have been a killer app -
> potentially enough of  a feature to override the whole 'free does not
> compute' problem that vorbis has with the big corporate customers. Right now
> it would be one of a number of nice features vorbis has, along with comments
> that don't suck, easy replaygain support, better quality to size than most of
> the non-AAC competition. It might even be that way in a year, but two years
> from now? I think encoder optimizations, monster portables and IceShare will
> make it irrelevant for most people.

You're right. I haven't thought about this, but it makes perfect sense.

There's a little point I want to mention: flash players. They are
getting big business. Included into mobile phones and other gadgets with
space limits. (Would be much more usefull than these cameras with their
lousy quality)
There's even a rumour of Apple releasing an "iPod for the masses" say a
"very cheap" one. IIRC it was said to be about a 100$, storing not onto
a harddrive but onto flash memory.

Imagine all ringing tones being vorbis, mobile phones streaming vorbis
radios instead of including separate FM tuners etc. etc. Ok, I admit,
it's not really realistic, but it would be nice! :)

-- Daniel