[vorbis] Proposal for Bitrate peeling.

Paul Wagland vorbis at kungfoocoder.org
Thu Jan 1 16:44:50 PST 2004

Hi all,

First up, this is not a proposal on how to do it, but rather on how to
get it done.

In the latest thread it was mentioned that it was most likely that
either Monty or Segher would be the most likely people to implement
this code. It was also stated that this is not their priority at the
moment. I can only see two solutions to this problem:

1. Find someone else with the knowledge and skills to do so.
Unfortunately, since I have not seen any documentation on what needs to
be done then, as far as I know, Monty and Segher are the only people
with the required knowledge.

2. Find some way to affect the priority of this option. I seem to
recall somewhere that Jack Moffitt said that priorities could be
influenced by money. Sadly I don't have the kind of money that I think
causes "influence" :-) But, I figure that a number of us together
might.

My proposal is simple, set up a escrow account to be paid out upon the
meeting of a number of goals:

goal a. Document the changes required for bitrate peeling to be
implemented. These changes should be documented to a level where a
person with reasonable knowledge of the OGG Vorbis format could
implement these changes.

goal b. Implement the required changes in the OGG Vorbis encoder to
allow for bitrate peeling.

goal c. Implement the loss-less stream re-organiser to allow for
bitrate peeling.

goal d. Implement the bitrate peeler. Obviously either of goals b or c
would also need to be met for this to be useful.

So, what do others think? In particular, the Xiph guys :-) Can this
fly? How much would we need to adjust the priorities? Is an escrow
account the way to do it? If one was to do it, how would one go about
it?

Comments welcomed,
Paul