[Vorbis] bitrate limits don't work with -q settings?

Christopher John Harrington webkid at webkid.com
Thu Dec 30 13:22:17 PST 2004

Nic Watson wrote:
> An intersting side note is that in trying to come up with a small test
> file that I could distribute, I took 3 differenct 30-second segments
> from input.wav, my original test case.  All encoded > 96 kbps.  Perhaps
> there is something peculiar about the bitrate management when encoding
> certain files.

It could be that the run of repeated data is easier to compress in
particular chunk sizes, and that your 30 second file is a multiple of
that. Who knows.

What is the problem with dropping -q3 altogether and allowing oggenc to
have your minimum of 96 kbps? Unless the other 95% of your collection
wouldn't be acceptable at this rate.

(terrible, shameless plug alert) The Neuros has no such lower bound on
bitrates (though it seems to have a rough upper bitrate around 250 kbps)
and has open source firmware. Think about it. ;)
http://www.neurosaudio.com

-Chris Harrington