[vorbis] Digitially Imported radio - let's ask for Vorbis

Colin D Bennett cbennett at radsoft.com
Tue Sep 23 16:29:34 PDT 2003

Jack Moffitt wrote:

> The problem in the past was that their original songs are in MP3 format,
>
>so no matter what other format they use, it will have to be transcoded.
>Perhaps these days they have solved that.

But if this is the case, how would they implement MP3PRO, WMA, AAC, or,
as they are planning to have going next month, MP3 at 160Kbps. Either
all their original music is encoded at high-bitrate MP3 and they are
re-encoding (MP3 doesn't peel, right?) to 128Kbps to stream it, or
they're going to re-encode all their music from the original CDs for the
160Kbps streams. But I think I'm giving up hope that I'll ever see
Vorbis streams.

I did find some stations I like on http://dir.xiph.org/ - thanks to
whoever posted that to this list last week.

>We definately dont' want high profile people transcoding from mp3, since
>there is no way that can sound better, whereas the vorbis stream encoded
>from the original would sound quite obviously better in most cases.

Absolutely. The reason I want Vorbis is higher quality. So of course
transcoding would be pointless. The quality can only get worse.

-cd