Meta-data streams (Was: Re: [vorbis] Total Tracks Tag?)

Beni Cherniavsky cben at users.sf.net
Sat Oct 25 11:56:16 PDT 2003

Oscar Sundbom wrote on 2003-10-13:

> Moz <lists at moz.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > The advantage of it is that the data is compressed (tags are not) so
> > it costs less, it would be interleaved (you'd still get music quickly
> > when streaming), it would be more comprehensive (cover art, URIs,
> > multiple languages) and there'd be more of it. You could quite
> > reasonably extract some or all of it into a database and query that
> > way more usefully than you can scrounge stuff out of a playlist (like
> > "show me all the tracks by Romantic German composers except the ones
> > Karajan conducted").
>
> As I understand the rules for embedding Vorbis in an Ogg stream, the handling
> of interleaved data is not a requirement for applications to be complaint.

Yes, and it's unfotunate.

> Perhaps this would be an issue.

That would be an issue to any future use of interleaving.  All
software writers are well advised to ignore all other intereleaved
streams rather than choking on them as the surrent spec allows (be
liberal in what you accept)...  Let it not deter us from designing
anything that uses interleaved streams.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at users.sf.net>