[vorbis] Total Tracks Tag?

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 13 08:29:07 PDT 2003

Oscar Sundbom wrote:
> Since this discussion has now, for me it seems, reached almost religious levels, I'd like to get something clarified. What would be the main difference between the tags we've got now and a meta-data system, provided they are both stored in the files (which is something not going away soon, I'm guessing).

Metadata is machine-readable, not easily human readable; it is heavily structured.

Adding such a tag to a stream is of course totally valid.

Adding it to the standard, and have programs try to parse tags to get
some semantics from it (other than just data to display) is a gross,
horrible hack.

If we force more structure on the tags, it will reduce the usability for
just jotting down some info about the stream.  Not a good thing.