[vorbis] Desirable Properties of a Real Metadata Format

Ralph Giles giles at thaumas.net
Mon Oct 20 07:08:19 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:54:31PM -0600, Jack Moffitt wrote:

> You cannot use XML for streamable metadata, at least not without
> changing what you mean by XML.  I wish people would please stop bringing
> this up.

I'm not sure it's as bad as all that. It's possible to design the
packetizer so that missing interior packets still result in valid xml.
On-the-fly parsing in the expat model gets you the data when you need
it. There's also some precedent in jabber's notion of xml "fragments".

Dealing with a missing end-of-stream packet is more of a hack. If the
packetizer is DTD-specific it can try and substitute the expected
closing tags, but there is no general solution. However in the expat
model this isn't a practical limitation since we'll need to tear
down the parser at the chain boundary in any case. XML's 'completeness'
detection mechanism has still served its purpose, if only in the
negative sense.

The opening packet(s) remain essential, but that's the case for all our
codecs.

I certainly hope streamable XML is possible, SVG is really attractive
for overlays at HD resolutions.

Cheers,
 -r