[vorbis] Desirable Properties of a Real Metadata Format

John Morton jwm at eslnz.co.nz
Fri Oct 17 16:49:27 PDT 2003

On Friday 17 October 2003 22:14, you wrote:
>  John wrote:
>  > No one has said it had to be streamable. Even if it isn't, how likely is
>  > it that stream creators are going to want to pack so much metadata into
>  > streams that it matters whether you wait for the whole metadata section
>  > or not.
>
>  My suspicion is that streamers will rip out all the metadata and just
>  use the existing tags (and probably not many of those). It does seem
>  to be the obvious solution.
>
>  > it's not like the data will be so great compared to track size
>
>  You seem to think I'm kidding about putting images in the metadata. I'm
> not.

You could just as easliy place the images in the ogg stream and allow the
metadata to point to it. We'd need a way to say 'this is the metadata for this
logical stream' if the metadata is in it's own stream, anyway.

>  The worst case in terms of metadata as a proportion of data is
>  probably the promotional CD singles that I seem to accumulate. They
>  sometimes contain just one track, but have the full metadata payload -
>  up to four sides of artwork, full band biography + bibliography,
>  lyrics and so on. I can see that totalling a meg or so, compared to
>  3-5MB for the actual song.

As you say, I can't see anyone wanting to stick all of that in their internet
radio stream. I think they'll just strip it.

John