[vorbis] Joining .WAV files with ogg-vorbis

Glendon M. Gross gross at xinetd.com
Thu Oct 16 20:47:51 PDT 2003

Tom Felker wrote:

> On Thursday 16 October 2003 10:30 pm, fsceg1 wrote:
> >
> > I can see one immediate problem with this: Vorbis is a lossy format, where
> > as WAV is a lossless format. This means that the resultant WAV is of a
> > lower quality than either input. I don't know if FLAC works like this, but
> > if it does, then since FLAC is lossless, it should work much better.
> > Indeed, FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. That means that you can
> > transcode FLAC > WAV all you want without any loss of data.
>
> If FLAC doesn't, I'd assume OggFLAC does.  Right?
>
> But while FLAC is lossless, it's still a waste of CPU.  For the OP:  If I only
> had Sox, I'd do this:
>
> sox a.wav a.cdr
> sox b.wav b.cdr
> cat a.cdr b.cdr | sox -t cdr - ab.wav
>
> This assumes you're working with CD format (44.1 kHz 2 channels 16 bit) data.
> CDR is just this data in raw form.  Otherwise, use .raw, but you'll need to
> give options to sox to specify the format.  It would be possible to do this
> with no temp space using named pipes.

For the record, I was using CD audio, so this method would have worked
for me.
Nevertheless, my ear is not good enough to tell the difference between
the
resulting file when joining quality 9 ogg files and the original file.
So I can't help wondering if the loss might be negligible.

Regards,

Glendon Gross